My aunt made this cake several years ago and I loved it. She then taught me how to make it, it turned out it was easy and pretty healthy too! I tweaked it slightly in order to make it gluten-free, but there is no need to get gluten-free bread crumbs. —Culinista Annouchka
Butter for the baking pan
Gluten free plain bread crumbs to coat the baking pan
Golden raisins, soaked in lukewarm water for 20 minutes
Organic golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
Gluten-free plain bread crumbs
Amaretti di Saronno cookies, finely crumbled (with a food processor)
Large organic eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven at 350F. Butter and coat with bread crumbs a 10 inch spring-form cake pan with a removable bottom.
- Drain the raisins and pat them dry with paper towel. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When melted add the Marsala wine, the sugar, agave nectar & apples. Raise the heat to high and cook, stirring often until the apples begin to soften, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Scoop up the apples with a large slotted spoon, letting the excess juices fall in the pan, place the apples in a strainer and then in a large bowl. Over high heat, cook down the juices left until left with about 1/4 cup of a thick sauce. Stir the sauce into the apples.
- Add the flour, bread crumbs, Amaretti, raisins and eggs to the apples. Mix well until combined. Place the mixture in the buttered cake pan and level the top with a spatula. Shake the pan to distribute the the batter evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a thin knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out just slightly moist. Cool to room temperature and serve….with whipped cream if desired!