one 9″ round pan
Delicious adaptation of Maialino’s Olive Oil Cake, flavored with 4 types of orange: zest, juice, Grand Marnier and Blood Orange infused olive oil. Followed the instructions on Food52 website with the exception of using a 9″ springform pan, which unfortunately leaked a little batter. Luckily I had it placed on a rimmed cookie sheet and didn’t lose much, maybe 1/4 cup of the batter. Next time I will wrap foil around bottom and up the sides. Ingredient changes — after reading comments, I first reduced the total amount of olive oil to 1 cup from 1+1/3 cup and substituted a blood orange infused olive oil for 1/2 cup (110g). I also reduced the amount of sugar from 1+3/4 cup to 1 cup (200g), which was plenty sweet enough. Served with vanilla ice cream on the side to house guests after dinner and everyone raved about the experiment! Moist, seems like it will keep for several days if well hidden(!). Wonderful served with ice cream, would also be great with fruit or whipped cream. —Gammy
all purpose flour
Diamond Kosher salt
grated orange zest (I used Cara Cara orange)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F., making sure baking rack is in middle low position. Butter or oil a 9 inch round cake pan at least 2 inches deep. Cut a 9 inch circle of parchment and line bottom of pan. Can use a 9 inch springform pan, but be sure to place on piece of foil and tightly wrap foil up sides to prevent any cake batter leaks.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until just mixed together.
- Bake for 1 hour. A cake tester will come out clean. The top should be golden brown and cake should have started to pull away from sides of pan just a bit.
- Let rest in pan on cooling rack for 30 minutes, then release springform sides and remove bottom of pan and the parchment and invert your cake onto rack and let cool completely, at least 2 hours.