Blueberry Waffles made from a crumb cake mix will be your favorite Blueberry Waffles ever!!!
This Blueberry Waffles Recipe tastes just like scrumptious soft crumb cake with caramelized brown sugar swirled throughout with bursts of warm sweet blueberries all complemented by the fresh subtle bright lemon. Drool. They are wonderfully easy and sensationally delicious.
Easy Blueberry Waffle Recipe
Blueberry pancakes are an American favorite breakfast. But what about Blueberry Waffles? This blueberry waffle recipe is about to become YOUR favorite breakfast. And it all happened by accident…
It’s a rare day when Patrick comes grocery shopping with me. I usually plan my blog recipes (which also means our family meal plan) at least 2 weeks in advance and go shopping to Costco, Albertsons and Sprouts to corral everything I need. Of course, I always have last minute change-up ideas so I am constantly running to the store for just one ingredient, but at least the bulk work is done. Anyhoo…
It was a fateful night when Patrick was my accomplice on the Albertson’s baking aisle when he grabbed the box of Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix and exclaimed, “I bet you could do something awesome with this!” Enter the best Blueberry Waffles of your life. Enter “mission awesomeness.”
I bring you Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Waffles awesomeness.
Pure awesomeness in taste.
Pure awesomeness in ease.
Pure awesomeness in making everyone think you are the best thing ever. Well, next to the blueberry crumb cake mix waffles.
For this Blueberry Waffles Recipe the waffle batter is a simple mixture of the crumb cake mix, water, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and blueberries. And of course, the crumb cake mix comes with brown sugar crumb topping so half of the brown sugar goodness gets mixed right into the batter and the other half gets sprinkled on top.
As the waffles cook, they become super soft, moist crumb cake mix waffles with caramelized brown sugar swirled throughout with bursts of warm sweet blueberries all complimented by the fresh subtle bright lemon.
Easy Box Mix Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Waffles. Thank you Patrick. Thank you.
Blueberry Waffles Ingredients
This is such an easy waffle recipe thanks to the prepared crumb cake mix!
- Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix: This is the only brand I have tried for this recipe. I am assuming other brands would work fine but I cannot be certain.
- Lemon juice and zest: Adds a burst of bright lemon flavor to the cake mix waffles.
- Water: I prefer using water rather than milk in this recipe.
- Oil: Use a neutral oil, like canola or sunflower oil.
- Egg: Make sure your egg is room temperature, otherwise the waffles may not rise properly.
- Blueberries: I used fresh, but I’m sure frozen berries would work too.
How to Make Blueberry Waffles
Unlike classic waffle recipes, you don’t have to whip any egg whites to make these super fluffy waffles!
- Heat a waffle iron and spray with non-stick spray.
- To a large mixing bowl, add all of the Krusteaz Crumb Cake Mix but only HALF of the crumb topping package that comes with it.
- Stir in lemon juice, water, oil and egg.
- Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Add batter to waffle iron and spread out a little with a spatula. Cook until waffle iron tells you they are done.
- Garnish with remaining half of crumb topping and syrup.
Tips for Making Blueberry Waffles
- Don’t overmix. Mixing the blueberry waffle batter develops the gluten, the less gluten development, the more tender the waffles. Over-mixing will produce chewier, denser, less fluffy waffles. Mix just until there aren’t any pockets of flour, keeping in mind you are going to stir a few more times once you add the blueberries as well.
- Let the batter rest. After you mix your batter, let it rest for 5 minutes before making your waffles. This resting time will produce lighter waffles.
- Preheat the waffle iron. We want our waffle iron sizzling hot before we add our blueberry waffle batter. A hot waffle iron will produce crispier outsides with tender insides because the batter will begin to cook on the outside as soon as it hits the griddle. When a waffle iron isn’t hot enough, you will get soggy, even squishy waffles.
Recipe Variations to Try
- Use different berries. I love making classic blueberry waffles from cake mix, but any berry can be folded into the waffle batter!
- Add toppings. These blueberry waffles are the perfect foundation for so many kinds of waffle toppings! Think: powdered sugar, fresh fruit, blueberry sauce, whipped cream, lemon curd, ice cream, you name it!
- Make it more lemony. For a stronger blueberry-lemon flavor, add additional lemon zest. Don’t add more lemon juice, as you don’t want the extra acidity to mess with the batter.
Can I Make Blueberry Waffles in Advance?
I don’t recommend making waffle batter ahead of time or the waffles won’t rise as well, but you can make blueberry waffles ahead of time to reheat or freeze.
If you are purposely making waffles to freeze, then cook them just until cooked through and on the softer side – less crispy then you’d normally make, this way, they won’t be overdone when cooked “twice.”
How to Reheat Waffles
You can reheat these fluffy waffles in the microwave but they will be on the softer side. For crisper waffles, toast them or bake them. To reheat in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line waffles in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Can I Freeze Waffles?
Yes! To freeze waffles:
- Let waffles cool completely.
- Place waffles on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place in the freezer and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Once frozen, add waffles to a freezer bag or airtight container, with a parchment paper in between each waffle. Alternatively, you can place individual serving sizes into separate plastic bags. Squeeze out any excess air.
- Freeze waffles for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, pull out the desired number of waffles and let them defrost for 10 minutes on the counter. Alternatively, you can let them defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
- Either toast, microwave (won’t be crispy) or bake your waffles.
What to Serve with Blueberry Waffles
If you’ll be serving these cake mix blueberry waffles to a larger group, it’s nice to round out the meal with a few sides.
- Creamy Berry Fruit Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Honey Citrus Fruit Salad
- Egg Frittata
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Looking for More Easy Breakfast Recipes?
- Chocolate Waffles
- Gingerbread Waffles
- Hawaiian Waffles with Pineapple Coconut Syrup
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Dulce de Leche French Toast Casserole
- Creme Brûlée French Toast
- All of my breakfast recipes!
WANT TO TRY THIS BLUEBERRY WAFFLES RECIPE?
Pin it to your EASY, WAFFLES or BREAKFAST BOARD to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
- 1 21 oz. box Krusteaz Cinnamon Swirl Crumb Cake and Muffin Mix*
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup blueberries
- Zest from 1 lemon
Heat waffle iron to medium heat. and spray generously with nonstick cooking spay (I use nonstick cooking spray with flour in it).
To a large mixing bowl, add all of the Krusteaz Crumb Cake Mix but only HALF of the crumb topping package that comes with it. Stir in lemon juice, water, oil and egg until just combined. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest until just combined.
Add batter to waffle iron and spread out a little with a spatula. Cook until waffle iron tells you they are done. These waffles take longer to cook than regular waffles so DON’T PEAK. To remove waffles from iron, cut along the waffle seams to remove them individually because they are super soft like cake and will break if you try and remove all 4 at once.
Garnish with remaining half of crumb topping and syrup.
*This is the only brand I have tried for this recipe. I am assuming other brands would work fine but I can not be certain.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original