Popping a can of condensed milk into simmering water is the easiest way to make dulce de leche and can save you about $2.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- Total Time:
- 3 hrs 25 mins
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 c. whole milk
- 4 lg. egg yolks
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 14.4 oz. box graham crackers
- 6 lg. bananas
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 oz. bittersweet chocolate, for serving
- Step 1Place the unopened can of condensed milk in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 2 hours (check occasionally to ensure that the can is fully submerged). Remove the can from the water and let it cool at least 30 minutes before opening.
- Step 2IN a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add 1/2 cup milk and stir to form a smooth paste. Whisk in the remaining 3 1/2 cups milk and the egg yolks. Stirring continuously, bring the mixture to a simmer and continue stirring until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Step 3Transfer half the mixture (about 2 /12 cups) to a medium bowl. Add the chocolate chips to the pot; stir until melted and smooth.
- Step 4Line the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with graham crackers, breaking as necessary to fit. Spoon the vanilla pudding on top, spreading to smooth. Slice the bananas about 1/4 inch thick and arrange on top of the pudding. Top with a layer of graham crackers.
- Step 5OPen the can of condensed milk and spread it on top of the graham crackers, then sandwich with another layer of crackers. Arrange another layer of bananas on top.
- Step 6Spoon the chocolate pudding over the bananas, gently spreading to smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour or up to overnight, covering after 1 hour.
- Step 7Just before serving, make the whipped cream. Using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Spread over the chocolate pudding. Use a vegetable peeler to shave chocolate on top of the cream, if desired