“This is a great cake to make for Valentine’s Day in a heart shaped pan. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 1981)”
- Ready In:
cups cake flour or 1 3/4 cups flour
cup cocoa powder
teaspoons baking powder
cup butter, plus
ounces bittersweet chocolate or 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray 2 8-inch round (or heart shaped) pans with non-stick cooking spray (or use a bigger heart shaped pan, adjusting cooking time) and flour pans.
- In a bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter using an electric mixer until soft (5 minutes). Add sugar gradulally while beaters are running and continue beating another 2 minutes or so.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add vanilla and continue beating until blended.
- With mixer on low speed add flour alternatively with milk in three additions, stirring until mixed but stopping at least once to scrap down bowl.
- Divide batter into two pans (or use one larger pan).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for 8-inch layer cakes or 40-45 minutes for a larger cake.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pans and then turn out onto a cake rack to finish cooling.
- While cake is cooling prepare glaze.
- To make glaze: combine chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cover and cook until mixture is melted and smooth.
- To assemble cakes: If using layer cakes, place one layer on serving plate (bottom up) and spread top with glaze, cover with top layer (top side up) and finish frosting with glaze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question?
Share it with the community!