Pancakes are too good to be stuck in breakfast land. Yank them out of their comfort zone with this gorgeous, European-inspired cake that’s delicious and heart-healthy to boot.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 c. buttermilk
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- can jellied cranberry sauce
- 3/4 c. sliced almonds
- confectioners’ sugar
- Step 1In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Step 2In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg whites, egg, granulated sugar and vanilla. Add to
the flour mixture and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Step 3Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a heaping ½ cup of the batter, gently spreading it to form an 8-in. pancake. Cook until bubbles begin to appear around the edges and in the center, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Step 4Flip the pancake and cook until the bottom is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel set on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining batter, layering and stacking the pancakes between paper towels (you should have 10 pancakes total).
- Step 5Melt the chocolate in the microwave according to package directions; set aside.
- Step 6Remove the cranberry sauce from the can in one piece. Slice in half lengthwise and place cut-side down on a cutting board. Arrange four 3-in.-wide strips of parchment or wax paper in a square around the edge of a serving plate (this will help keep the plate clean) and place one pancake on top of the plate.
- Step 7Cutting and placing one slice at a time on the pancake, cut 12 very thin slices from one of the cranberry sauce halves (you should get 30 slices from each half). Top with another pancake and spread it with 1 rounded Tbsp melted chocolate. Repeat the cranberry and chocolate layers 3 times. Top with a pancake, a final layer of 12 cranberry slices and the remaining pancake.
- Step 8Spread the sides of the stack with the remaining chocolate. Gently press the almonds into the chocolate (use the parchment paper to help pat them on). Just before serving, dust the top of the cake with confectioners’ sugar, then remove the parchment paper.