Enjoy a slice of this moist coffee cake without a trace of guilt.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter or margarine, at room temperature
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. grated orange rind
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. nonfat sour cream
- 2 c. fresh cranberries
- Step 1To make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, walnuts, cinnamon, and butter or margarine. Mix until crumbly.
- Step 2To make the coffee cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13″ x 9″ baking dish with no-stick spray.
- Step 3In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar, egg, and egg white. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until light in color. Beat in the orange rind and vanilla.
- Step 4In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Step 5On low speed, beat one-third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture. Beat in 1/2 cup of the sour cream. Repeat, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and thick; do not overmix.
- Step 6Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish. Scatter the cranberries on top. Sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This cake can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or double- wrapped in plastic and stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.