- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, bean pod discarded
- 3 cups canola oil
- 4 bananas, cut 1-inch thick on the bias
- confectioner's sugar, *optional for sprinkling
- Combine the rice flour, sugar, salt, milk, Grand Marnier, baking soda and vanilla bean scrapings in a medium bowl. Let the batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a deep pot heat the canola oil to 350°F.
- While the oil is heating, dip the bananas into the batter to coat. When the oil is hot enough, add the bananas and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Don't overcrowd the pan or you'll get a big mess. Only add as many as will float in an even single layer. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil. Continue in batches depending on the size of your pot.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar if you choose and serve.