This swirly, mocha coffee cake is a showstopper.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
For the Coffee Cake
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, sliced into chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. instant coffee
- 2/3 c. Starbucks Frappuccino Mocha Chilled Coffee Drink
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- Hot fudge, for serving
For the Streusel
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter 2 mini loaf pans.*
- Step 2Make batter: In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in butter, one piece at a time, until pea-sized crumbles form. Add the eggs and yolks, vanilla, instant coffee and Frappuccino drink. Beat until smooth, about 2 minutes more.
- Step 3Make swirl: Add 1/3 of batter into a small bowl. Stir in cocoa powder until fully incorporated.
- Step 4Pour half of the coffee-flavored batter into loaf pans, top with cocoa batter, then pour remaining coffee batter on top, spreading it in an even layer. Use the end of a wooden spoon or a butter knife to swirl the batters together, creating a slightly marbleized effect. Set aside.
- Step 5Make the streusel: In a large bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, salt, butter and flour. Once combined, mix with your hands until crumbles form. Top batter with streusel.
- Step 6Bake until golden, 50 minutes. Let cool completely, then drizzle with hot fudge, if desired.
Candace Braun Davison
Candace Braun Davison writes, edits, and produces lifestyle content that ranges from celebrity features to roll-up-your-sleeves DIYs, all while relentlessly pursuing the noblest of causes: the quest for the world’s best chocolate chip cookie.