Maine produces 99 percent of America’s wild blueberries. Use them in this decadent pastry.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp. melted for brushing
- 3/4 c. cake flour, plus 2 tbsp. for dusting
- 2 3/4 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 c. shelled pistachios
- 1 tsp. salt
- 7 large egg whites
- 2 pt. raspberries and/or blueberries
- 1/4 c. raw or turbinado sugar
- Step 1In small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter on medium until melted. Cook 5 minutes or until browned and fragrant, swirling occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Step 2Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush two 9-inch tart pans with removable bottoms with 1 tablespoon melted butter; dust with 2 tablespoons flour. Place pans on lined baking sheet.
- Step 3In food processor, pulse confectioners’ sugar, pistachios, salt and remaining 3/4 cup flour until pistachios are very finely chopped, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Step 4To nut mixture, add egg whites. Beat on medium speed until well-combined. Reduce mixer speed to low. Slowly drizzle in reserved butter. Increase speed to medium-high and mix for 1 minutes. Pour batter into prepared tart pans. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Step 5While batter chills, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Top batter in pans with berries and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 1 hour or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks. When ready to serve, gently remove from sides.