Oh yes, you read that right. Pizza cake is totally a thing. This recipe doubles regular two-pie dough for a layered cake that only the biggest pizza fans will love. Just be sure to use a spring pan so you won’t damage the layers of your “cake”
Check out more delicious pizza-fied recipes here!
For more classic pizza recipes, click here.
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees f)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup white flour
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour warm water into a bowl and empty package of active yeast into it. Set aside and allow to proof for five minutes.
- Sift flours, sugar and seasoning together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour warm water into the flour mixture and begin mixing by hand. About halfway through the hand-mixing, drizzle honey in and continue to mix together until combined.
- Once the dough is formed, place in a greased bowl or coat the dough lightly in olive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Place a cloth over the bowl and keep at room temperature. Allow to rise for at least 2 hours, or overnight if possible for best results.
- Once it is chilled, quarter the dough and roll one of the quarters into a ½½-inch thick base dough. Roll the remaining dough sections out into 1-inch round dough discs and put aside. Push the down into the spring pan at the base and up along the sides, letting the excess dough flap over the pan. Let it bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool. Next layer in your sauce, seasonings, and any added toppings and cheese. Repeat this layering process until complete and top with the cheese. Roll the excess dough back over into a crust formation. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until dough is cooked to your specifications.