Pumpkin Spice Cake Roll
To help satisfy your pumpkin spice cravings while also keeping nutrition in mind, Tammy Lakatos Shames and Lyssie Lakatos have created their own better for you pumpkin spice cake roll. By swapping out unhealthy ingredients for more nutritious ones and using better for you ingredients, such as raw pumpkin, this delicious recipe is amazingly nutritious and has all the pumpkin spice flavor you need. Plus, it will only set you back 145 calories.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 ounce low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 18-by-13-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir in pumpkin, eggs, and lemon juice. Pour the batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a damp kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off parchment paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Place the cake on a baking sheet and let cool in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest, and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Chill in the refrigerator while the cake is cooling.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake, leaving a ½-inch border all around. Carefully reroll. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (or more) before serving. Slice and enjoy! Store leftovers in the refrigerator. You can sprinkle additional confectioners’ sugar on top for garnish.