I try to send something home baked in Evan’s lunchbox if I can. He would be quite happy with an endless supply of chocolate chip zucchini muffins but I like to change it up every once in a while. I bought a big bag of apples last week, so I thought I might as well find a recipe that would use one or two of them. Evan quite likes these muffins & I like that they use whole wheat flour and aren’t too terribly sweet. Definitely a winner.
Apple and warm spices make for a yummy muffin.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped & peeled apple, approximately 1 large or 2 small apples
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin either using muffin cups or by greasing the cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the first 7 dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk, egg and oil.
- Pour chopped apple and wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until moist.
- Divide batter among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown & a toothpick inserted in the middle of the top of the muffin comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 167Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g