Martha Stewart’s Angel Food Cake turned into cupcakes, filled with a strawberry-sugar mixture, and topped with a strawberry whipped cream frosting. For step-by-step photos, go to my post at: http://www.icancookthat.org/2013/02/strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes.html —I Can Cook That
large egg whites, room temperature
zest from lemon
pure vanilla extract
container of strawberries, hulled and chopped
container cream cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons
pure vanilla extract
strawberries, stems removed and finely chopped
- Begin by combining the 3/4 container of chopped strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- To make the angel food cake cupcakes, line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- Zest the lemon and set the zest aside. Juice the lemon.
- Add the egg whites to a mixer and beat on medium high until foamy (about 1 minute).
- Add the lemon juice to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.
- Continue to beat, adding about 1 tablespoon sugar at a time, until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes, using 1 1/4 cups cups sugar in total. Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Sift the flour mixture over the egg-white mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, folding the flour into the egg whites using a rubber spatula each time. Be careful not to over mix, you want it to stay really fluffy.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake tins (about a heaping tablespoon in each one) and smooth the tops of each.
- Bake until golden, or approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan. While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, prepare the frosting.
- Combine the cream cheese, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk on medium speed until smooth.
- While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in the finely chopped strawberries.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small paring knife to cut out the center of the cupcake.
- Fill with some of the strawberry-sugar mixture.
- Add the frosting to a plastic bag and cut a small corner off the bottom of the bag. Pipe the icing on to the cupcakes and top with a strawberry slice.