The ultimate strawberry shortcake.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 8 – 10 serving(s)
For the cake
- Cooking spray, for pan
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3.4-oz) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
For the frosting + topping
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 qt. strawberries, stems removed
- 2 c. Cool Whip
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 8” round cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and butter. Divide between prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Step 2Meanwhile, make buttercream: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined, then add vanilla, heavy cream, and salt and beat until combined.
- Step 3Spread a thin layer of buttercream on top of one cake layer, then transfer remaining buttercream to a piping bag. (No need to use a pastry tip — just ship a large hole!) Stand strawberries on top of buttercream in an even layer then pipe buttercream between and top of strawberries to cover. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Step 4Place second layer on top, then cover the entire cake with Cool Whip. Slice any leftover strawberries into thin slices to garnish cake.
This content is imported from poll. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
BUY NOW KitchenAid Hand Mixer, $39.95, amazon.com
Lauren Miyashiro is a freelance contributor for Delish, and formerly worked as Food Director. She graduated culinary school in 2016 and mastered the art of the crunchwrap in 2017.