- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½teaspoon paprika
- ½teaspoon cumin
- 1pound campari tomatoes, sliced
- ¾cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1cup low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 2teaspoons honey
- ¼cup fresh basil, torn, plus more for garnish
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split, divided
- 3ounces sliced cheddar
In a medium pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly browned in places, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add stock, honey, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 35 minutes, until tomatoes are broken down.
Cool soup slightly. Add lemon juice. In a blender, puree soup in batches (or use an immersion blender) until smooth. If soup is too thick, add water or stock, ¼ cup at a time.
Heat broiler on high. Top ½ muffin with 1½ oz cheddar. Broil until cheese is melted and edges of muffin are crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. (If you’re eating both servings of soup, make both halves.)
Garnish soup with more basil and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
24 g fat (9 g saturated)
55 g carbs
15 g sugar
11 g fiber
21 g protein