This classic cake recipe gets a new ingredient; hot cocoa mix lends chocolaty flavor and an appealing two-tone look to each slice.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. whole milk
- 1/4 c. hot cocoa mix (we used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate)
- 1 tbsp. boiling water
- Step 1Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Step 3Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Step 4In a medium bowl, combine the hot cocoa mix with the boiling water. Add 1/2 cup batter and mix to combine. Spoon one-third of the vanilla batter into the prepared pan and top with small dollops of one-third of the chocolate batter (about 2 1/2 tablespoons total). Repeat twice, ending with the chocolate dollops. Using a butter knife, swirl the mixture in a figure-eight pattern a couple of times (don’t swirl too much or the mixture will become muddy).
- Step 5Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 70 to 75 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.