This strange but good combination of avocado, almond butter and kale in the Vegan Breakfast Sandwich will have vegans and non-vegans alike craving breakfast all day long.
Let’s be real, has anyone ever said they hate breakfast sandwiches? I don’t think so. I mean, let’s think about it… it’s breakfast… in a sandwich. Ok, that sounded like such a stoner thought, but the fact remains that breakfast sandwiches are amazing and will remain amazing for all of time. Even thinking about breakfast sandwiches is enough to make me happy.
The one rub is, vegans often get the short end of the stick. I mean eggs and cheese (and meat) are off the table which leaves… tomato? During my experiments with veganism I always craved a good ‘ol bfast sammie and felt pretty deprived.
However, while I may not be a vegan anymore, this year I had an epic revelation in the form of a majestic breakfast sandwich that was… yes, vegan. I first tried this combination at my favorite breakfast/lunch spot on Nantucket: the Green. “What was on this majestic sandwich?” you ask! The strangest combination of ingredients that resulted in something that was quite epic: Kale, Avocado & Almond butter.
I know, I get it. I was skeptical at first. But more than anything, I was intrigued because those are 3 of my favorite things. No, I hadn’t tried putting them together before, but there’s a first time for everything. I went ahead and ordered this crazy creation and low and behold it was freakin’ delish. I still don’t get it to be honest. But it’s literally my order every single time I go there now.
I had to share this combination with you because it’s just too good to keep to myself. Beyond tasting amazing, I love this breakfast because it keeps me full all morning (thanks healthy fat) and gives me a hefty serving of veggies too.
[Tweet “I gotta try the crazy combination of ingredients in the vegan breakfast sandwich”]
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
Recipe Type: Breakfast
- 1 Whole Wheat English Muffin
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1/4 of a medium avocado
- 2 Cups of Kale
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- To assemble sandwich: Toast english muffin
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium sautee pan
- Sautee kale on medium heat until slightly crispy (approximately 5 minutes)
- Mash 1/4 of an avocado onto one side of your toasted english muffin
- On the other side spread 1 tablespoon of almond butter (I used Trader Joe’s crunchy unsalted)
- Layer cooked kale between to halves of sandwich
- What’s your favorite kind of breakfast sandwich?
- What’s you favorite crazy combo of flavors?