9 inch cake
I adapted Maialino’s Olive Oil Cake to be able to make it for my vegan mother – a perfect brunch dessert for Mother’s Day! My first go around, I tried subbing out the eggs for ground flax seed, and the milk for coconut milk, which ended up with a greasy dense strange tasting cake. Trying to find a better way to help give the cake some lift without eggs, I swapped the whole milk for vegan buttermilk, aquafaba for the eggs, and lowered the olive oil to one cup. Those did the trick and I ended up with a delicious, pudding-like cake, perfect for a summer dessert or brunch treat! —Alexandra Burghardt
almond milk (or other dairy free milk)
apple cider vinegar
zest of 1 orange
all purpose flour
Fruit for topping
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk and whisk to combine, set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 – grease and line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients very well – aquafaba, olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, and milk / cider mix. I whisked until foamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet – sugar, flour, baking soda and powder, salt. My lazy method is to dump them all on top of the wet, whisk the dry stuff on top a bit to combine, before mixing it all in together.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 50-60min, until golden on top and springy to the touch. If it’s underbaked it will have a more oily texture so bake it a bit longer than you think.
- Let cool in the pan 30 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting. Top with fruit if desired (always a must in my book!)